What Does A Dental Cleaning Entail?
Everyone knows that cleanings are important to ensure your dental health, but not everyone knows the steps that go into your appointment. We have outlined the steps for you, so you can better understand the process. ps.. don’t forget to get your cleanings every 6 months!
- Let’s get into it! The first step is that one of our dental hygienists will ask you if there are any tooth concerns you have. We want to make sure we take care of any pain or discomfort you are feeling.
- Our mouths create a natural buildup of plaque over time. Although it is normal, it is necessary to remove buildup to keep your teeth healthy. With the small mirror to guide them, the dental hygienist uses a scaler to get rid of plaque and tartar around your gum line, as well as in between your teeth. You’ll hear scraping, but this is normal. The more tartar there is in your mouth, the more time they’ll need to scrape a particular spot.
- Gritty toothpaste is commonly the next step. The grit gets a deep clean on the teeth. After your teeth are completely tartar-free, the hygienist brushes them with a high-powered electric brush, which makes a grinding noise. While it sounds scary, it’s a great way to get a deep clean and remove any tartar left behind from the scaler.
- Next is everyone’s favorite… flossing! Flossing is commonly overlooked day to day but it is essential to keeping your gums and teeth healthy.
- Floride is the last step! This treatment is used as a protectant for your teeth to help fight against cavities for several months.
All done! Your teeth will be feeling sparkly and new. All you have to do now is schedule your next appointment and you can be on your way!